Tuesday, December 20, 2011

It's the week before Christmas, what's there to be rude about?

I dunno about ya'll but one thing that really bothers me is rude people during the Christmas season. I really try my hardest to be nice and polite to anyone and everyone I see. Especially during Christmas. I know this time is stressful for a lot of people, so I figure a smile or a simple thank you could at least make people thing twice about being rude to someone else.

So flash forward to around 1 o'clock today. I needed to go to the post office to mail my secret santas package. The line was out the door...but I figure hey that's the price you pay for trying to go to the post office in the middle of the day the week before Christmas right?

Anyways, I get in the express line and wait about 20 minutes weight the package, yada yada yada, and go to put it in the mailbox to have it sent out and the box is jammed. A few people around me were discussing what to do when we saw a post office worker outside collecting the mail from the mailboxes so someone suggested I go ask her.

So I go outside and politely ask the lady if she knows what might be wrong with the box and if she has any suggestions for what I should do. I understand that it probably is not the most ideal time of the year to be a post office worker but her rude response was totally unnecessary.

Post office worker: "It's obviously jammed."
Me: "Do you have any suggestions for what I should do?"
POW: "Go put it on the counter and have them mail it."
Me: "I'm sorry for asking so many questions but the line is out the door, do I need to wait in line?" (keep in mind I already paid for postage and everything it just needed to be sent)
POW: "Probably"

And then she walked away. Luckily, another post office worker came up behind her and offered to take the package for me. I think I overthanked him but I was just so grateful to not have to wait in that line and that someone took the time to be nice to me. I made sure that every errand I ran the rest of the day that I smiled and wished everyone a good Christmas. I know people are overworked and stressed this time of year, but I still honestly believe that there is no reason to be rude to people.

Point of the story is to make sure you are nice, polite, and grateful to people this week. Hopefully the kindness will spread and those people will think twice before they are rude to others.

2 comments:

  1. I could not agree more! Today when I was finishing up my shopping the lady in front of me in J.Crew could not have been any meaner to the woman checking her out. I made sure that when it was my turn I was as nice and polite as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - I'm so sorry that you had to go through this to mail my package!

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2011 Designer Blogs